Construction Worker and Jesus

 Just outside my neighborhood, I was stopped by the never ending construction that is occurring in Utah. 

The orange barrels corralling our cars into a line as trucks and machinery beeped, growled and maneuvered around me and the other vehicles. 

As I was halted, and had no other option than to wait while the workers worked; a man about my age stood in front of my car-avoiding my eyes as he sweated in the heat of the sun. 

He caught my notice. He was fairly handsome and in good physical shape. I watched as he leaned on the "STOP" sign he held and waited for his walkie talkie to tell him to let us pass.

"I wonder what leads a man here?" I thought. 

He seemed physically fit, his bright eyes conveyed intelligence as he observed the workings of the team around him.

What was it that takes a man who is like any other man; living his life and is my own age- that THIS is where he finds himself?

Standing in excruciating heat, the smell of tar permeating his clothes and a long day ahead of him getting yelled and honked at by irritated passersby. 



"Choices." was my decision. 

We all make choices and our choices lead us to where we are in our lives. 

The same way that my choices and circumstances have lead me to my current life. 

Could he be a high executive in a tall building? A famous sports player? I think so. Could I? What choices have I made?

This is where my mind was processing as the lane opened and the man let me drive by. I waved. 

I was only a block or so away when I realized my folly. 

As I observed him and his struggle; I had looked at it like a failure. I had evaluated it as "less than" another life path- based on materialistic and cultural conditioning. 



His place was exactly perfect for him. 

And, who cares about monetary or career success? 

What if, he went home every night to the love of his life and his baby who adored him?

What if he had found the secret to self love and a pure soul mate commitment? 

What if in his heart and soul and life he had more than most of us ever DREAM to have?

How do I know he didn't?

What if, like my Grandpa Carmal, who was a successful businessman; he had been in a car wreck and picked up a second blue-collar job in order to pay down medical bills.

What if he held the secret to life?

What if he had the awareness and compassion of Jesus?

Who was I to say or know- based only upon a moment of passing?

What I learned as I drove away; was more about myself. I had observed and learned that based on how I would prefer to live and work; I had evaluated him and his circumstances.

This is something we all do. 

This is a greater pandemic. 

The idea that other people should live or do as I/We think they should; based on our own life experience. 

I'm grateful for that lesson. 

I'm grateful for that moment. 

For all I know, that was Christ standing there.

In fact, I do know it. Because we are ALL GOD and every person is only a reflection of God; including you and me.

And I am grateful. 



Comments

Popular Posts